Caroline's Rules for labelling Buttons
1. Label the button with what it does.
2. If the user doesn't want to do it, don't have a button for it.
Read Caroline's nice, short article on the topic:
- MS Windows Interface Components - Controls - has a section on command buttons
- Apple Human Interface Guidelines > Controls > Buttons
- IBM: Using Web widgets wisely, Part 1 - Has a short section on command buttons
- Alertbox: Reset and Cancel Buttons - covers issues around using the dreaded reset button on web forms
- The Piece of HTML created just for Me: Reset - Caroline's explanation of why you should scrap your reset button.
- Usability.gov Research-Based Guidelines > Screen Based Controls (PDF) - discusses "PushButtons"